Saturday, January 28, 2006

Ya gotta have a plan

My day job involves project management and like any good project manager knows, if you want to achieve something, it helps to have a plan.

So the first thing I did was to make a plan of how I was going to research my family history - and here it is:

  • Get some software to hold my family history information as I gathered it
    • I found a great shareware program called GenoPro
  • Create a web site to populate with information as I found it (so I can share it)
  • Work out what I already knew
    • Most of this was about the Perrys and the Walls
    • I reviewed all the information I "inherited" from my grandmother, compared it with the information on Dennis' website and discounted some of it as things just didn't fit
  • Work out what I needed to find out and where I needed to look
    • The ongoing bit
The last step is where I am at now. It may never end - how far back I go will probably depend on how much time I want to spend digging into records which naturally will get more difficult to find (if they exist at all), the further back in time I go.

But at least I have a plan.

No comments: