Saturday, January 28, 2006

What do I want to know?

Fine - so after working through what I knew, I then needed to decide what more I wanted to know. Or rather, how much information I wanted to try and discover about my ancestors.

In project management terms, think of it as the scope.

I'm no genealogist (more on that later!) so I don't know the term for it but basically, I decided to trace only my direct ancestors along the four branches of my family tree.

Never mind their brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, distant cousins and all that stuff - if I was ever going to have a life outside this project, I needed to draw the line.

Besides, there is a limit to how many people I can hold in the family history software and I already have enough living relatives, thank you, so there's really no point unearthing any new ones.

The next thing to decide was what to find out about them. I went for the basic stuff: when and where they were born, when, where and who they married and when and where they died.

Three historical records: births, deaths and marriages.

Except for the convicts, of course.

No comments: